PNG Defence Force prepares for deployment to Alotau


May 04, 2021 - 1179 views

The Papua New Guinea Defense Force is preparing to deploy its personnel and logistics to assist the police operation in Alotau, Milne Bay Province after the attack by criminals last week.

PNGDF Commander Brigadier General Gilbert Toropo told FM100 News this morning that the request by Police Commissioner David Manning for assistance was received and PNGDF will assist as requested.

“Our staff at the moment are discussing with police on the type of force and strength that is needed to respond to the situation in Milne Bay” Brigadier General Toropo said.

“After that is finalized, then we will work on what type of troop composition will be allocated, whether it be part of maritime or land forces.”

“We want to make sure that we have the right team to assist our counterparts, the police to respond to what is happening in Milne Bay.”

Meanwhile the PNGDF Commander says funding aspect of this operation will be the National Government’s responsibility.

Last night was no different from the past 4 nights in Alotau, uncertainty was felt all over town.

However, Alotau's Garuboi street at the Bottom Town surburb was worse compared to the rest of the suburbs.

Settlers were evicted from their homes at the top part of Garuboi following an order from the police Task Force.

Picture by Asopa typepad

Comments(1)

Log in to comment
Mike, 1 week ago
Well done